RSS
Welcome to Sculpting in Time, Nats' movie review blog! I watch movies nearly everyday (and sometimes several in one day) and I will write about ALL of them! So check back often and feel free to leave your own reviews in the comments.

In the Loop (2009)


In the Loop is a British comedy that at once reminded me of the British version of The Office. I suppose it's the same sort of dry, subtle, straight-faced humor. It's also filmed in a similarly pseudo-documentary style. Apparently, In the Loop is a spin-off of the BBC television series The Thick of It, but I haven't seen it, so I can't really comment. Anyway, the movie depicts US and UK political relationships during the run up to the Iraq war in 2003.

The movie if filled with brilliantly amusing site gags and absurd quips. At one point, Karen Clarke (Mimi Kennedy), the US Assistant Secretary of State of Diplomacy starts bleeding profusely from the mouth during a meeting. She retreats to the bathroom where she stuffs her mouth with napkins with the assistance of her assistant, Liza (Anna Chlumpsky, the girl from My Girl). Karen gives Liza an order and when Liza clarifies, "You're not going to shout at me if I go and do that, are you?" Karen, with her mouth and hands covered in blood and crammed full of bloody napkins says, "I'm not a monster, Liza, okay?" Another delightful one-liner has Malcome Tucker (Peter Capaldi), the Prime Minister's Director of Communications, saying "'Climbing the mountain of conflict'? You sounded like a Nazi Julie Andrews!"

In the Loop is probably entertaining for those who are familiar with and enjoy British comedy, and maybe some of those who don't. I think deadpan punchlines and absurdity has it's place in American comedy, but it's much more subtle than the more common forms of humor.

Writing: 9/10
Acting: 8/10
Plot: 8/10
Visuals: 8/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your opinions, whether you agree or disagree, or leave your own review of the movie!

 
Copyright 2009 Sculpting in Time. All rights reserved.